Range Control Officer
Non-Exempt l CBA
Tlingit Haida Tribal Business Corporation (THTBC) is a family of 8(a), HUBZone, SDB, and other companies wholly- owned by the largest tribe in Alaska. Each of its wholly- owned 30+ subsidiaries are uniquely qualified to deliver value to its customers and teaming partners. For over 30 years, THTBC has operated as a trusted US Federal contractor throughout the US and worldwide. THTBC delivers outstanding service with innovative, low-cost contract solutions to all its public and private sector customers worldwide.
Scope of Work:
Serves as central safety contact point for real time Fallon Range Training Complex (FRTC) target range air and ground user by enforcing NAWDCINST3700.2x (Range Operations Manual), all NAWDC Range Office Procedure Memorandums, all applicable Fallon Tactical Training Range (FTTR) Plans, Range Operating Instructions (ROIs), and Work Instructions (WI). Position is represented by a Union Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
This position is Range Control Officer, Fallon Range Training Complex (FRTC), and Naval Air Station (NAS) Fallon, NV. The ROC, as NAWDC’s Range Office (N38) Operational/Safety Representative, shall provide the NAWDC Range Office (N38) a direct and immediate verbal report, (followed up by written documentation) of any out of the ordinary range events in violation of the FRTC Operations Manual which could have a potential impact on public/range user’s safety/security. The incumbent is also responsible for generating a written incident report listing date, time, personnel, location, range scheduling information, and a description of the circumstances surrounding the incident within the same day or next workday of the occurrence. The RCO’s vigilance and immediate corrective action will often mean the difference between safe mission execution and life threatening occurrences / serious property damage.
- Safely de-conflicts for the execution of live fire and non-live fire air and ground training events within the FRTC bombing ranges while maintaining the integrity of the associated restricted airspace.
- Directly coordinates with military and other agencies in support of aviation and ground operations within the FRTC that may impact scheduled operations.
- Reviews and coordinates with NAWDC Range Schedules and individual squadron schedules to accurately reflect usage of the daily range schedule in the Data Collection and Scheduling Tool.
- Responsible for accurate collection of daily bombing range usage data.
- Designated as Emergency Response Coordinator, serving as communication conduit between units operating within the range complex and emergency response agencies.
- Coordinates as necessary with scheduled users to identify and resolve same day scheduling and scheduling conflicts that may arise.
- Maintains an assigned/scheduled watch station at the Range Operations Center.
- Responsible for maintaining a watch log, recording all significant events occurring within the FRTC bombing ranges, logging all ground users accessing the bombing ranges, and recording all ground munitions expenditures.
- Responsible for accurate collection of daily range bombing usage data.
- Performs air and ground safety monitoring tasks for all NAWDC bombing ranges.
- Maintains positive control of all ground users, separating and deconflicting ground access while assuring maximum safety.
- Utilizes radar, air and ground communications, and surveillance video systems to monitor all air and ground activity for potential unsafe conditions.
- Declares a bombing range “red” when any unsafe condition is detected.
- Notifies all air and ground personnel of the imminent hazard or unsafe condition.
- Utilizes the Public Address Warning System (PAWS) to alert ground personnel and provide directives for range evacuations.
- Executes the ROC and Ground Access Schedule and coordinates real time scheduling from the Daily Range Schedule.
- Resolves anticipated air and/or ground safety conflicts, participant discrepancies, and operational questions regarding mission support.
- Ensures all activities conducted within FRTC bombing ranges are in accordance with NAWDCINST3700.2x (Range Operations Manual), NAWDC Range Office Procedure Memorandums, FTTR Plans, ROI’s, SOP’s, and WI’s.
- The incumbent uses discretion in determining intent, and in interpreting and revising existing policy and regulatory guidelines only when such action does not jeopardize the safety of personnel or property to carry out the training objectives.
- The incumbent must use sound judgment, technical expertise and initiative in providing sound decisions needed in resolving complex deconfliction issues
- Generate formal written Incident Reports for violations in compliance with current NAWDC Procedure Memorandum and notifies Range Office of dangerous/hazardous occurrences to the NAWDC Range Division Program Manager and Senior Range Control Officer.
- Coordinates with Air Traffic Control (ATC) to clear aircraft into restricted airspace and the bombing ranges.
- Provides advisory traffic call information to aircraft operating on range control frequencies.
- Maintains a continuous situational awareness of all FRTC air traffic.
- Receive check-in/check-out reports from all bombing range users.
- Verify ordnance to be delivered is authorized for specific target(s) and range(s).
- Ensure the range(s) have been cleared and a Range Safety Officer (RSO) has been identified prior to authorizing ordnance delivery or laser operations.
- Comply with current NAWDC Range Office ROC Procedure Memorandum for incident reporting when a significant safety hazard or safety incident occurs within the FRTC bombing range boundaries.
- Function as on the job training instructor for all newly hired personnel until qualified.
- Conduct periodic RCO recurring training for procedures, actions, and knowledge base concerning the FRTC bombing ranges and related airspace.
- At least 3 years of related experience.
- High School Diploma required.
- Documented experience in either a military or civilian environment in one of the following; Air Traffic Control (ATC) with RADAR Supervisory experience in a TRACON or CATCC facility/an Operations Specialist with Air Intercept Controller (OS/AIC)/a qualified tactical aircrew member or C2 platform aircraft.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge and ability to use computers and related technology efficiently.
- Familiarity with Airspace Management/Control is highly desirable.
THTBC offers eligible employees a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Hospital Indemnity Plan
- Company paid disability, basic life & AD&D
- Employee paid voluntary life and AD&D for dependents
- Accrued vacation and sick time
- 401(k) retirement plan
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all the essential duties of the position satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. May be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance, including successfully completing a thorough background investigation.
THTBC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
EEO Information-English Version
EEO Information-Spanish Version
Pay Transparency -English Version
Pay Transparency -Spanish Version
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us and let us know the nature of your request. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.